Tuesday 22 January 2013

SPEECH PATHOLOGY

SPEECH

For the past month, my brother has been seeing a speech pathologist. These one on one sessions with Betty, happen once a week. I have been attending these sessions 3 times now and I really do enjoy being a part of my brother's speech development.

In these sessions, there is a lot playing involved; this is because my brother learns through play. She has this things about 'stupid creativity' or something along those lines where she will give everyone else a card, but won't give my brother one, therefore he has to learn to ask for help. Betty says that my brother struggles to ask for help which makes this concept something to work on and continue.

My brother also does this thing called 'labelling' where he will point and say:" This is ...." What we are trying to help him with is also starting to using describing words to help him. 

Singing songs also helps my brother increase his length sentence. There's this particular song called: "3 green speckled frogs" that my brother really likes. This is also involves play so he really does enjoy it!

As of February, my brother is going to be joining a group session with a couple of other boys his age, as this will encourage him to interact with other children. He will also learn to take turns( which he is struggling to do) as all of this will prepare him for primary school!

No comments: