Tuesday 2 April 2013

Knowledge

KNOWLEDGE

In 2002, one in 250 children were diagnosed with Autism. In 2012, those numbers have changed to one in 88 children children being diagnosed. As a result, people have now heard the word 'autism' more often, but some don't really know what that means. The increasing number of diagnosis means that there is a higher chance that someone might know or is related to a person that is diagnosed under the Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Before my brother was born, I had never heard of the word autism let alone knew what it meant. It wasn't until my brother was three that the word became familiar and I had gained knowledge about the disorder. We had studied a book called 'The Curious Incident of the dog in the night time' in English that year and that novel was about a boy who had Aspergers Syndrome. He was our protagonist and we went on a journey with him about his life with his dad, and his ups and downs as to finding out more about why his mother left him. This was my first ever interaction in the area under theAutism Spectrum.

Autism falls under the Autism Spectrum umbrella, which also includes Aspergers, PDD-NOS, childhood disintegrative disorder and Rett syndrome. Autism (along with the others) usually effects the development of a child/person. An easier way to see it is, everything is completely the same, it's just their brains are 'wired differently'. 

For me personally, I'd like to think that a lot more people in today's society would be more accepting of this disorder because of the increase in diagnosis. And that's a comforting thought in a way because it means that more people will eventually learn more about Autism and be more aware of it. That's probably something really selfish to say but I'd just like people to understand the disorder and maybe that's what I'm trying to get it. I want more people to gain knowledge and pass on knowledge so the world could be educated.


Thanks for reading
Byeeee

No comments: